www.flickr.com
items in FHFteam on Etsy More in FHFteam on Etsy pool

Wednesday 11 January 2012

Member Interrogations - Josephine Wadman

The first member interrogation of 2012 is an interesting insight into Josephine Wadman's thoughts on her work, on Mr Rochester, and on changes in direction. Read on...

----

1 -  Your name: Jospehine Wadman

2 - Your shop name and address: Josephine Wadman Designs, www.josephinewadman.etsy.com & www.josephinewadmandesigns.com

3 - Describe your artistic style in three words: varied and eclectic, others tell me it is easily recognisable.

4 - When did you first start glassworking and how did you get started?

About 5 years ago. I was making jewellery but wanted to do more than buying and stringing beads. I toyed with silver clay. Then I stumbled on Laura Sparlings website. I ordered a hothead starter kit and that was it, I was hooked.

5 - What do you love most about your craft?

The magic of transforming the solid glass, the variety of effects you can achieve and the good days where you sit at the torch, listening to radio 4, glancing out at the garden…..and end up with a kiln full of little treasures.

6 - If you could take a class with any artist (in your field or otherwise) who would you choose and why?

I love organics so maybe Amber von Meter (Naos) or Aja (Wandering Spirit) and I think you would have to go a long way to learn more about glass from someone than you do in one of Julie Dentons classes. 

 
 7 - Do you have a favourite piece of your work that you can share with us?

I’ve made quite a few of these now and I still love them.




8 - Where do you find your inspiration?


Anywhere and everywhere. Often its just the glass, I sit down without any particular idea. Other times its a season, a scene or a picture.


9 - What’s your favourite technique within your medium?

Nothing very complicated but I dont think I could function without silvered ivory stringer.

10 - Where do you create your work?

 I have a workshop in the garage. 

11 - Do you have a favourite colour scheme or range when you’re creating pieces?
 
Either blues and greens or earthy colours.

12 - Can you give us a quotation/lyric/piece of advice that sums up your approach to life and your craft?
 
I think I might have to go with one of the many wise words of Albus Dumbledore, either "It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." or "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."


13 - The most serious question of all: if you could meet any fictional character, from TV film or literature, who would it be and why?

Well I do want to go to Hogwarts, but failing that I wouldn’t mind spending an hour or two doing crosswords with Inspector Morse or being swept of my feet by Mr Rochester.


14 - Finally, what are your plans or hopes for your work in the future?
 
Well its all change for me with a divorce looming. I need to support myself fully within a few years but I have decided that it wont entirely be with bead making. That constant pressure to come up with something new and then sell it doesnt assist with creativity in my experience. And as I dont have a pension waiting for me I need to earn reasonable money rather than scrape a living. So I have decided to train in book indexing with the intention of working freelance. I will still make beads too. But with the two running alongside each other then there wont be quite so much pressure and I will be able to enjoy the beads.

I will probably ease off the jewellery side of things, no more big silver bills, commission to galleries and paying to stand in drafty halls watching people sell mass produced tat! Just me, the glass and my etsy shop. It will be a gradual change over the next few years. Just hoping I can get to grips with the indexing, its a lot more complicated than you might think. But if any of you decide to write a book on bead or jewellery making then you know where to come for the index!


----

Thank you Josephine, for an interesting read - we all wish you good luck with your new 2012 plans, in both beads and books! 

Hazel

2 comments:

BeadsbyStephanie said...

An interesting and lovely read Josephine! All the best for the changes and the indexing!!

Marg (Maigret Lampwork) said...

Love your beads, Josephine and good luck with all your plans x