www.flickr.com
items in FHFteam on Etsy More in FHFteam on Etsy pool

Wednesday 21 March 2012

Member Interrogations - Jane Crosby

Today we have a 'dangerous' interviewee...Jane of Dangerous Beads! Grab a cuppa and have a 
 read of Jane's glass philosophy (and sense of humour!)




1 - Your name: Jane Crosby aka Dangerous Beads

2 - Your shop name and address:  www.dangerousbeads.etsy.com

3 - Describe your artistic style in three words:  Messy. Random. Sporadic.

4 - When did you first start working with glass and how did you get started? 

I can't remember when I first started but it's been a few years. I should be a bit better at it by now really, but I'm quite happy to plod away at my own pace. I was inspired to make beads when a dear friend gave me a beaded charm bracelet, it was so sweet and simple, each bead was different. A few of the beads fell off and I replaced them with any random bead I could find. I loved that bracelet so much that I decided to make some myself and started buying stuff at car boot sales and charity shops if I found something with just one bead on that I wanted. Then I found and bought commercial beads on the web, until one day I couldn't find this one really simple style bead in particular, it had been discontinued. I thought, hmm, how difficult can it be to make? Googled it and Hey Presto! Bought the basic kit and discovered the joy of lampwork.

5 - What do you love most about your craft?

It gives me what I think most of us crave, "Me time". I just love, and feel soothed by, watching glass melt, even if it doesn't end up as anything beautiful or useable, the satisfaction I get from doing it is usually enough.

 6 - If you could take a class with any artist (in your field or otherwise) who would you choose and why?

There are so many to choose from but after some consideration I think I'd like a class with Rachel Frudd. Her work with silver glass is fantastic. She was producing the most stunning, dreamlike beads after only a few months of lampworking. She's a very talented artist.

Or a banjo lesson with Jens Kruger, though I'd probably wet myself if that ever happened.

7 - Do you have a favourite piece of your work that you can share with us? 




These beads aren't particularly clever but I just squirm with pleasure at the colours everytime I see the photos.

8 - Where do you find your inspiration? 

 I pick three colours and hope.

9 - What’s your favourite technique within your medium? 

Gravity beads. I wish I was better at encasing though.

10 - Where do you create your work? 

 In the cellar or basement, luckily it's heated and dry.

11 - Do you have a favourite colour scheme or range when you’re creating pieces? 

 Organic colours float my boat. Particularly Stone Ground, Dirty Martini, Chalcedony and Iris Savanne. Oh and purple.

12 - Can you give us a quotation/lyric/piece of advice that sums up your approach to life and your craft? 

Can if I like. Will if I want.

13 - The most serious question of all: if you could meet any fictional character, from TV film or literature, who would it be and why?

Buzz Lightyear. He's  confident, optimistic, a strong Alpha male who sees no obstacle as too great, and he has a cute butt.

14 - Finally, what are your plans or hopes for your work in the future?

To infinity and beyond.

----

Thanks Jane, for such a fun interview!

No comments: