www.flickr.com
items in FHFteam on Etsy More in FHFteam on Etsy pool

Monday 2 November 2009

The Trials and Tribulations of a Newbie Lampworker!

Dots. I hate them. I just can’t control the blasted things and they end up all over the place, all sorts of different sizes, or just plain splodgy. Practise, practise, practise? Bah, I don’t have the PATIENCE for that! I want perfect dots and I want them NOW!

Why do I want to be able to do dots? Well, I see everyone else with their beautiful dotty and bumpy beads and I want to be able to do the same, but without the wasting of glass and gas and time and energy and.... well, you know what I mean. I’m mean.

And I hate the frustration of it too, I find I get so wound up that I just don’t want to do it any more, and I give up trying and go do something else which does not require blasted dots! In fact, I gave up trying dots within my first month of lampworking.
My early "dots". Oh dear........

I am only just now, five months on, giving them another real try.
And it’s painful, it’s like pulling teeth or fingernails. It hurts. But I am going to persevere this time, and I’ll tell you why.

Dots deserve our love. That bright yellow dot in the blue sky, the millions of sparkly dots on the night sky, the dots of Braille that enable people to read, a baby’s beautiful big eyes......Without that dot at the end of a sentence the sentence would never end. Dots are everywhere around us and deserve love and respect. Yay for dots!
And to all those of who have made the time and effort to practise and perfect those lovely dots, I applaud and respect you, and I apologise for being mean!

Last weeks Dots, much better! Still needs PPP though :-)


You can find me on Etsy :-)

2 comments:

Jolene said...

I don't do many dots either! Beautifully written and fun to read Vicki, thanks Jo x

Raspberry Rings said...

aaaagh! stringers + dots = fustration!! Especially when you are new to the torch like us ;0)