www.flickr.com
items in FHFteam on Etsy More in FHFteam on Etsy pool

Wednesday 30 November 2011

Member Interrogations - Yvette Goodridge

Yvette Goodridge from Blue Kiln Beads is our interview subject this time, and she shares a bit about her inspiration, future hopes, and a lovely story of how she got started. Here we go...

1 - Your name: Yvette Goodridge

2 - Your shop name and address: Blue Kiln Beads,  www.bluekilnbeads.blogspot.com www.bluekilnbeads.etsy.com

3 - Describe your artistic style in two words: Bright, eclectic.

4 - When did you first start glassworking and how did you get started?

My parents asked me what I wanted for my 30th birthday. I had discovered bead making classes but couldn’t afford to book one myself so it seemed like it would be a perfect gift. That was in 2006 with Beverley Hicklin, and the rest as they say is history. My mum is very creative and would admit to being a craft collector so ofcourse she wanted to come and now we both have our torches and share a kiln. Its great because I always have a friend to take to events like Flame Off.

5 - What do you love most about your craft?

I can have an idea and then create the beads to fit rather than having to search for the beads I need.
There is also the fact that there is always something new to learn whether its a technique, a design, the use of a different type of glass, its so exciting.

6 - If you could take a class with any artist (in your field or otherwise) who would you choose and why?

That's a tricky one because there are a few people I would like to have a class with. I think I would pick Dora Schubert, I love her designs and marvel at her stringer control.

7 - Do you have a favourite piece of your work that you can share with us?

I’m rather proud of the necklace I made to go with a top:


8 - Where do you find your inspiration?

I tend to start with a colour combination which might come from a piece of fabric or scrap book paper . I have two girls and some of their bits and bobs spark a colour combination. Some beads I made a while ago were inspired by one of their hairclips:



9 - What’s your favourite technique within your medium?

Tricky question for me because I like to dip in and out, if I see something in the Frithappens gallery or on a blog I decide to give it a go, so I don’t necessarily have a favourite technique. I am stuck on applying dots at the moment and trying to get them to go around the end of the bead evenly. I saw some Justin Tabor beads in a book recently and would love to be able to apply dots like he does.

10 - Where do you create your work?

In my utility space, its small but warm. Previously I was in my old garage which was a great space but chilly in winter.


11 - Do you have a favourite colour scheme or range when you’re creating pieces?

At the moment I am stuck on shades of green and purple, brown and blue are a favourite but I always come back to pinks and purples eventually.

12 - Can you give us a quotation/lyric/piece of advice that sums up your approach to life and your craft?

‘There are people who have money and people who are rich’ Coco Chanel. I think this sums up my personal situation at the moment and my craft. The breadwinner in our family has been looking for work for 8 months now and like many people my business is noticing the tightening of peoples’ purse strings but we feel we have family and friends and so feel rich. Hope that’s not too cheesy......

13 - The most serious question of all: if you could meet any fictional character, from TV film or literature, who would it be and why?

The way I’m feeling at the moment it would Mary Poppins. I could do with her advice on being organised and keeping all balls in the air at once with ease and elegance.

14 - Finally, what are your plans or hopes for your work in the future?

I would like to enter a few articles to magazines, build a thriving online presence and eventually get a craft unit where I can share my craft with others. My ultimate dream would be to own a craft centre where crafts people can share workshop space and the where the public can visit and buy and take lessons.


---

Thanks Yvette for the lovely pictures and answers!

1 comment:

Jolene said...

A lovely read and beautiful work Yvette xx